1. Tell us a little about yourself.
I grew up in a family of 14 in the Boston area, have competed in sports ranging from boxing and hockey to triathlons, taught fitness classes in NYC, am the father of two brilliant (bias allowed!) college students.
2. Have you done other styles of Yoga other than Thavma Yoga?
My prior exposure to yoga was at the Lakewood Ranch YMCA, where Hatha yoga was taught. I’d also taken one other hot yoga class.
3. What made you decide to take your first yoga class?
The year after the Boston Marathon bombings I was part of TeamMR8, running and fundraising on behalf of bombing victims, and early in my training I suffered a calf injury. For three months prior to the race I was unable to jog/run, so I took up yoga and was able to finish the marathon! I was in awe of how transformative yoga could be.
4. What made you choose Thavma Yoga as a Studio?
I’ve always had an affinity for hardcore workouts. Earlier this year I stumbled upon Thavma, picked up a promotional flyer, and after visiting the website and studio I knew I’d found a gem.
5. What was your first Yoga experience at Thavma Yoga Lakewood Ranch like?
Humbling and motivating. I also forgot to bring water…big mistake. My workout clothes were drenched, and I was hooked.
6. What makes you come back?
Beginning a day with Thavma Hot Yoga energizes the rest of your day. The instructors and fellow yogis are upbeat and focused on safe positioning, encouraging you to progress at your own pace. If you’re reading this and curious about Thavma Hot Yoga, you have to try it and experience the boost in endorphins for yourself.
7. How long have you been practicing?
A little over three months.
8. What changes have you seen since you began the practice?
I wake up without needing an alarm clock, and just feel better physically. I spend a lot of time in a vehicle so it’s very important to strengthen my core and back, and I’ve become more limber.
9. Where have you seen that yoga helps you in your day to day life?
It helps me to be at my best. My interactions with others are enhanced, and I’m more relaxed. A career in sales and business management comes with its share of stress, and practicing yoga helps curb that.
10. What is your favorite pose?
Standing Bow Pulling Pose…striving for just the right balance.
11. What is your least favorite pose?
Any requiring hip flexibility.
12. What do you like most about Thavma Premium Hot Yoga Lakewood Ranch?
The people there give it a real positive vibe, and it’s clean and serene.
13. Tell us anything else interesting that you feel you have gained or learned since starting yoga with us?
The (sometimes intense) heat inside the studio causes you to pay even more focus on breathing deeply, which in turn unlocks other key benefits.
This is a studio that welcomes all levels and ages – give it a try!